Thursday, October 26, 2017

Chroma Key

 
Chroma key

2017
HD video
Duration 03:54


https://vimeo.com/213145845













Chroma key is a recent work that deals with the dichotomy of two realities that I am experiencing as artist. Usually my time is stretched between artistic work at my studio and work at construction sites for pure economic reasons. As sculptor I find a lot of beauty in materials and working processes that often flow in and out my working practice. In my artwork I often find the need to modify gallery space to my needs and apply same materials and skills from the alter universe. When I face an exhibition the location is an important aspect that I take into account while planning and creating the artwork. Lately I just love to cut the knot between the two worlds and blur the boundaries between art and labor.
I visited the working place early in the morning before the work starts and set up the lights, camera equipment in front of walls that according to he architectural drawings have to be removed. I paint in these areas in Chroma key green. This technique has been use in movies to remove a background from the subject of a photo or video a color range. The green foreground footage is made transparent, allowing separately filmed background footage or a static image to be inserted into the scene.
We trash the wall while being filmed. The footage I gain is inspiring to work with.
It brings planners, designers, developers and workers to wonder about the unique quality of their own work and of the built environment.

Drummers: Niklas Faupel, Son Pham.
Breaking by: Thomas Westphal and Marja Patrikainen.
Editing: Sari Palosaari and Sebastian Ziegler

No comments: